Monday, June 4, 2012

Summary for Rolling Thunder, Kiwi Mike

I was honored to have been asked to do this build as I know it would mean so much to so many and hopefully it would make people smile and be proud.
Riding the bike all the way to Washington DC was a challenge I put upon myself riding on America's back roads, not freeways which would be the easy way out. To trailer this bike to me is against the rules. The Coast Guard puts itself on the line and to the test every single day and so did this bike which we appropriately named CG-1.
For this particular bike to be the lead bike in the Rolling Thunder parade was quite an honor to say the least. The Coast Guard normally would go last in the line up of the 5 services and honorary bikes however since she endured every challenge that was bestowed upon it crossing this great nation, to go 1st and be the lead dog was an extremely high honor. I was representing the Coast Guard and I wanted to do every Coastie proud. Mission accomplished!!!
This was my 1st experience visiting Washington DC and it has something meaningful to everyone who should visit. For me I connected with the 3 memorials, WWII, Vietnam and Korean Memorial. I was standing at the Korean Memorial comprehending what was before me and a Vet was having a problem putting flowers in a holder. I immediately bent down and cleaned out the hole with my pocket knife for him. He said that it was very important that every hole be filled with flowers as these guys didn't have the chance.
I went on to scale the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and stood where Martin Luther King gave his "I have a dream speech". I would never have imagined a 21 year old young man leaving New Zealand in 1982 would be here in the United States of America doing the things I have been able to do let alone build a bike for one of America's top Forces.
I had a very special request from a dear friend to “make sure I get the bike photographed next the Vietnam Wall Memorial”. Little did I know that this was an impossible task that was going to take nothing short of a miracle.
Just like the US military, it slipped in and then slipped out like no one was ever there. Mission accomplished!!!
In 2009 I became a US citizen and this project I felt was giving just a tiny bit back to such a great nation, its people, its services and POW MIA’s.
Throughout this build I was connected with current serving and retired Coast Guard men, women and military Vets who made a human connection for me and I wanted to serve them well.
This bike build was no small feat. One has to understand to build a masterpiece from a pile of junk parts is hard yaka (work). The frame and forks have to go through extensive straightening, other parts have to be tweaked and massaged while others need major repairs. Every single part has had my hand (as well as my craftsmen guys hands) on it in some way to master it to perfection as that's my way of doing things. Perfection, just like our servicemen and women perform every single day.
This bike has become part of me that I now give up for a greater cause for others to benefit from.
Yes I did get sentimental during my speech as this bike and the trip I embarked upon with it and what it now means to so many connected deep within me on a personal level like no other.
Here is my “I had a dream” speech.

"SEMPER PARATUS (Always Ready).
This original 1945 Indian Chief has patrolled the shores of California,
Endured the Mojave Desert,
Scaled the mountains of New Mexico,
Galloped across the Texas prairie,
Cruised the Nachez Trace Parkway,
Climbed the Blue Ridge Mountains,
Conquered the North Carolina Tail of the Dragon and
Slid to a stop at the Atlantic Ocean.
Like the Coast Guard, this bike never faltered in its mission. In 4133 miles, this vintage machine was always ready for its next challenge. SEMPER PARATUS!!!"

Thank you all for giving me an experience of a lifetime and to allow me to serve the Coast Guard so proudly.
Sincerely
Mike (Kiwi) Tomas

0 comments:

Post a Comment