Friday, May 18, 2012

Charlotte 3507 total miles

Will blog for as long as my eyes stay open tonight. Starting at 11:15 is a little out f my zone but we'll git-r-dun!. Started the day bright and early as we had to head off down the road to mocksville nc to meet marilyn stemp,editor of iron works mag. Se has been a friend of mike and carolyn's since they started their business in 1988. We were supposed to meet her at a place called diane's diner on highway 64. We looked a the map and figured we had this one wired. Blasted in to mocksville and kept looking for the diner to no avail. Finally had to ask a young lady at the gas station. She obviously had a lawn care business so we figured she would know her way around town. Boy did she. I heard kiwi say"are you shittin' me?" turns out the diner was 10 miles back out of town. Off we went concerned that we had ridden right by the place the first time. No worries mate. The place is as nondescript as it could be. The sign is so faded you can not read what it says ules you study it very hard from a stand still. Marilyn had watched us ride by so she knew we would be back soon. Let me just say this lady is absolutely terrific. We had a blast telling ride stories and yakking about the motorcycle industry in general. The 2 hours went by way too quickly. Se took some photos before we left so those should be Fu to look at some day. We hoped to catch up with her at Denton but never did see her. Thanks for a great morning marilyn! After that we were off to Denton for the amca swap meet. Since I am the brides maid I just had to hang out while kiwi worked. Got myself a jug of home made root beer and lit a cigar while sitting on a bench under a pine tree. Now I ask you what better way to let the day wash away could there possibly be? Had some great people watching and the root beer was killer. The guy charged me $7 but he was quick to point out that I could get free refills for life if I kept the bottle. I was equally quick to point out that the likelihood of mee needing free refills for life was nonexistent since I was on a motorcycle fro southern California. It didn't register with him because he said bring it next year and I'll fill it up. Riiiiiight! We left Denton about 6:30 heading for Charlotte. Only 1 1/2 hours behind where we were shooting for. No matter. We figured out a map and headed off wit no red neck gps for a guide. We were winging it. For us this has proven to be dangerous. We did great tonight however. Got to wally's shop with a minimum of issues. Wally is kiwi's good mate who works for joe Gibbs racing. We are hooked up with pit passes for tomorrow's race. More on that tomorrow. We dropped the bikes off at wally's shop and met his step dad Ernie. Felt really weird being in a truck and not having to worry about directions or some one following you. I just sat in back and rolled the window down while Wally drove us to his house. Met his lovely wife Reagan. They are a delightful couple and are very nice to let us stay here for a couple of nights. Get this- we even get to wash clothes. I am on my third day with this shirt. I haven't changed because my other shirts have more days on them. Pants have seen some rai but are still well used and unchanged since the day we left. Can you say biker trash? Loving it! We ate a late dinner at a fish place by their house. Great meal and wonderful company. We tld stories and also learned about bachelorette party favors from Reagan. I tried to swap my race ticket and take her place a the party but it didn't work. Ha ha. Time for the rack as it is almost mid night. More tomorrow if I think of anything. Racers start your engines.

0 comments:

Post a Comment