Friday, May 11, 2012

Sallisaw OK, Kiwi Mike

Bob and Clyde decided to head back home to near Corpus Christi TX since the weather was making a turn for the worse. We had our last supper together with breakfast across the street at Denny’s. Both of these guys are hard core riders and super nice guys. Bob and Clyde wouldn’t let on as to their age but we didn’t cut them any slack until they divulged it, both are 68 years young. Bob has owned his ’50 Chief for 50 years, not 40 as he let us on to believe. As they rode off today in the rain, Bob was in his chaps and leather jacket, the same goods he was riding with while the sun was out shining. My hats off to you both, hard core genuine riders.


We had a lot of fun together and it meant a lot for these guys to make a special trip and ride with us. Us too. Bob commented that we squeeze in anyone elses usual 3 days of stuff into 1. That’s how we roll.

We just heard from them and they said they should be home around midnight tonight, about 650 miles straight through, now that’s hard core.

While walking back from Denny’s a nice gentleman stopped his car on the road to allow us to cross the street. He was stopped for a bit and then another vehicle plowed into the back of him. Oops, he was being kind to us but????

Once we hit the road in the rain to Brass Balls Bobbers in OK City I soon found out my 35 year old English motorcycle cop boots don’t hold out the water any more, bummer. The inside feeling went from dampness to liquid to slosh slosh.

We were greeted at Brass Balls Bobbers by Dar, his crew (Bryan and Justin) and Dar’s wife Latrisha and camera crew as soon as we rolled up. Dar has a super nice shop and his staff and wife are all super nice. I did an interview for Military TV which was great. It was nice to get our bikes into Dar’s workshop and give them a birthday oil change. Lunch was at one of Dar’s favorite spots and the cheese steak sandwich was killer good. Dar and his crew are top notch.

We headed off down the road around 2.30 and whacked off the 263 miles, most of it being in more rain. We got our system down and haul right on along.

I needed new boots and Bryan and Justin suggested the Honda dealership 35 miles down the road in Shawnee. They have a super nice store and an area dedicated to boots but most were what I’d call for foofoo bike riders who want to look good rather than have something functional. The only pair that would keep out the water were 229.99 and they only had 1 pair available which was size 12. Sh-t a brick, you gota be kidding mate. I tried em on and they do float a bit however I’m used to that in my cop boots anyway. I said make me a killer deal and I’ll take em. He said since they have been in stock since 2007 I will most certainly make you a great deal, 145.00. Sign me up but you gota throw in 1 pair of nice dry socks. A nice young lad (Corly Jones) took great care of me. Their facility is top notch and very impressive. Corly even offered to send my old ones back to Cali. Thanks Corly.

The rain doesn’t really bother us much as we left Cali all prepared.

Dinner was next door to our motel at Pizza Hut.

I’m impressed with the Joe Gibb’s Driven Racing synthetic 50wt oil as this stuff works super well. The oil looks far cleaner at 1700 miles than conventional petroleum based oil at 100 miles.

I need to hit the sack earlier than midnight tonight to catch up on some sleep. This blogging takes a while to prepare and sort out the day’s events into words. The last few nights I usually get done at 12.30 and then we get up at 5am. I think its caught up with me tonight.

1 comments:

S a s h a said...

Hi Mike! Your adventure is inspiring! I love the stories!

Post a Comment