Friday, May 11, 2012

Sallisaw 263 miles

We woke up to really cloudy skies today and were hoping to miss the rain. Bad call. Had a nice breakfast with bob and Clyde. By the time we were done it was raining on the way back to the hotel across the street. Bob and Clyde decided to head for the barn since hussy 81 was a mile down the road and led them straight home. As we were walking back to the hotel a driver let us cross the hiway so as to avoid getting wet. As he was stopped waiting for us to cross we heard the screech of brakes and the sickening sound of crunching metal and plastic. A texter creamed our good Samaritan. Not a happy way to start any one's day. We bid our new buddy's good bye and safe riding. They will let us know about clyde's breaking of the 200,000 mile barrier. Now that there is a LOT of riding. Good luck Clyde. They will also let us know when bob breaks the world speed record on his knucklehead in august at Bonneville. He has the glint in his eye so I have no doubt it will happen. We geared up for wet weather and headed to darwins's motorcycle shop called brass balls bobbers. I was slow going In the rain but we made it around 10. The guys were all glad to see us and welcomed us with open arms. It is a great crew and dar is top notch. He had arranged a camera shoot with the navy public relations department so there were three fellows there to interview kiwi,take pics and do the lighting. Fun surprise and kiwi did a great job in his interview. We will see the same guys out on dc for rolling thunder. Gave poker chips all around so made some smiles for the day. My c pap machine took a crap in the middle of the night so I spent the early morning hours trying to get something worked out so I can sleep the next week. Talked to the California people and they talked to the Oklahoma city fellow. He met me at brass balls bobber and went over my machine. Got it going for now while another one is over nighted to north carolina. Hope e thing lasts until next Friday! They really did a great job paying attention to my needs and I appreciate it a lot. Thanks peak sleep. After the photo shoot we worked on the bikes. Kiwi did an oil change and transmission gear oil change. He also had a castle nut that hit the road shipped out so that is back on in the right place. I changed dirty gurl's oil after her little romp with bob's bad boy the night before. :) Brian from the shop welded on a couple of brackets to hold my saddlebags in place. The old hard tail is "hard" on parts not made for the long haul. The problem has disappeared. Thanks Brian. We will see him in dc during the demonstration memorial week end. We had a great lunch with the whole shop at a place I think was called teledelphia. Lots of cheese steak sandwiches etc and terrific food. After lunch we had a fur piece to go for the day so we saddled up and headed out. Hit the road by 2:30-in the rain. I had on my new frog tog rain pants purchased at bass pro shops after lunch. My other ones would keep you dry if you were shopping for make up at Macy's but not on a motorcycle. My bad. High and dry now. Kiwi had a major leak in his boot so we stopped in Pawnee and hit the Honda shop. He got a great deal and is thrilled. I got some little prizes myself. Was looking for a neoprene face mask since my face and lips are really wind burned. Shazam! Found just the ticket. A half mask that looks like Hannibal lechter's mask from the movie silence of the lambs. How cool is that? Also needed to upgrade my goggles to keep the rain off my contacts. Got 'em. Both of those for $18. Now that is shopping. We had miles to travel so hit the highway. When we want to travel we can make some serious tracks. Only did 30 miles this morning so the rest was after 2:30. Ride 'em baby! Trivia 01: whose home town is Yukon,Oklahoma? Hint- famous country singer. Also who came from henryetta Oklahoma? Hint: famous football player. Who knew all these famous people were from Oklahoma. I am going to start drinking lots of this water and maybe I will be famous some day too. NOT! So we made it to sallisaw I time for a nice pizza and some serious blog writing. Rear view mirror for Oklahoma tomorrow. Bring on Arkansas. Thought for the day: it still takes a tall dog to weigh a ton.

0 comments:

Post a Comment