Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wilkesboro nc 3305 total miles

Well it finally happened. We had our first really shitty day of navigation. It would happen on a day when everything had to be perfect in order for us to do our agenda for the day. Our original plan was to head out early and truck to laurel springs to meet with kiwi's buddy Paul. It was a 200 mile trip but we figured the way we ride we co uld knock it off in 5 or 6 hours even on the blue ridge parkway. Sounded good. Right out fo the gate we turned toward gatlinburg and headed full bore down the parkway. Didn't really plan any turns so kiwi was in the lead since he is far superior to me on the twisties and deserved some fun. He would get way ahead and then slow for me to come into view only to disappear again. I think he was having a blast until I finally daunt him and said I thought we were on the same road as yesterday and it couldn't be correct. Unfortunately I was right and we had gone 25 miles in the wrong direction. Damn! Headed back to correct our mistake but had blown an hour and a half by then. By the time we got on track instead of being well ahead of the kickstart run we were well behind it. We trudged forward fairly sure we could make it to the next gas stop even though we were goig to be on fumes. Kiwi had been coasting down the long down grades to conserve his fuel. We finally daunt the kickstart boys and got tangled in their mess running down the road. Much different running with a large pack than with your mate. By the time they had all passed me kiwi was no where in sight. I wasn't too worried as I am like the tortoise and the hare. Guess which one I am? Ha ha. I always catch them some where on the side of the road or a gas stop. It was a pleasant ride at my chosen sped until my flatty gasped to a halt on a long down grade. WTF? The only thing it could be was fuel so I switched to the right tank. Drty gurl roared to life and purred down the road. Problem was kiwi had the map, the roads were not marked with gas stops and I did not know where I was in the big scheme of things. Saw some bikes on bmw's on the cut out so stopped to ask them about fuel. They said the only fuel was 12 miles down the mountain where they had just come from. So I had to make a decision: go forward with limited fuel not knowing when or if I would find fuel or head down the mountain where I knew I could make it to fuel. Down the mountain I went knowing full well that I was losing valuable time but beter to lose time than be stranded on a 12 0/0 down grade with no options. The road down the mountain was a goat path at best. The hard tail was hard tailing me to pieces. Finally got down and could not find the station. Even passed a cool looking golf course so I knew I was close to some kind of civilization. Was just ready to stop and ask where I the blazes the fuel was when what to my wondering eyes should appear but cyndi ray's. Damn near kissed the pump. Got fueled up and went in to pay the tab. Two nice young ladies were behind the counter. Their names were Terra and Cindy. We had a great time yakking about the bike(terra liked the name dirty gurl) and also the mission kiwi and I were on the present the bike at the pentagon. Gave them a poker chip and they promised to check the blog. Hi girls! This was in cruso nc and by the way terra told me they are having a down home hoe down next week on the 26 th. Yu are all invited I am sure. Wish I could be there. Back up the mountain I went to hit the trail. I was pretty sure I had the rest of the day to myself and was working on my plan for the next gas stop. Got stopped at a construction hold up and had to wait for a while. Finally we took off up the hill. Before long I recognized the bikes behind me as those from the kick start. I smiled like the tortoise that had the last laugh. They all passed me again which made me happy to no end. I was looking for my mate but he was no where to be found. Fnally stopped to wait for a bit and one of the guys came back and told me kiwi had gone back looking for me. I called him and left a message not knowing when he would get it if he was riding. He did finally call and headed back my way. Thankfully I had packed several packages of my home made beef jerky and it made a tasty pic nic lunch. Slammed some water I had bought in cruso and popped a couple of glucose pills to keep the blood sugar steady. Once kiwi got to my spot we rode hard to get to wilkesboro. His friend Paul who we were supposed to meet at his house in laurel springs instead met us at the Harley shop I wilkesboro. We got there at 6:30 just about the time they were feeding the masses. Lots of folks around so it was a rousing success. After a quick bite to eat I headed to the hotel to check in and left kiwi to his socializing and alone time with Paul. Looking for a good night sleep tonight after a couple of hard days of riding. Easy day tomorrow as we head to the amca swap meet in Denton. It's all good. Dirty gurl out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment