Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Robbinsville nc 2815 total miles

Started o ut the day from Winchester tennesee. We made a route change and decided to blast through Chatanooga on the freeway rather than the back roads I had mapped. Our goal was to be done with freeway and past the big city ASAP. I knew the freeays in chatanooga were very congested and full of trucks so I had a bit of anxiety about this part of the trip. We delayed breakfast until we headed down the road for a while. Once I hit a exit we had a dilemma- waffle house or Mickey dees. I made kiwi eat at waffle house yesterday so figured he could have his oatmeal today. As we were eating breakfast a fellow named Maurice came in and asked if he could take pics of the bikes. Of course we said yes but had no idea what he was going to do. He must have taken 100 pics from all angles of both bikes. Several times he was on the ground taking picks of something or other. Not sure what he will do with them but he surely had a great time taking pics all the while his wife was sitting on the car waiting. Go Maurice! We continued our eating until the next batch of hawkers came by. I wasn't too long before two fellows cranked their bikes into the parking lot and screeched to a halt beside the bikes. One fellow was on a rat bobber made from an old yamaha. He knew his bikes and had a wild appreciation for both of our scoots. When we finally went out to take off we started a conversation and had a blast yakking with them. They were on their way to tour the jack Daniels distillery for the second time. FYI the distillery is in a dry county. Consequently no sampling. Hmmmmm. Wat is wrong with this picture? We took several pics with them before we took off. They listened to the bikes all the way down the entry ramp and mike hit them with a loud wail on the siren. I have no doubt they damn near pooped their pants when they heard it. The freeway was every bit the shit hole I thought it would be. Trucks everywhere roaring close to your ear and the wind puling you in every direction. This went on for 30 miles as we traversed the 24 freeway and then veered off on the 75 freeay to our exit for Cleveland tennesee. Thanked the big guy upstairs for our safety. We pulled over for fuel and again met some folks that steered us in a different direction for the afternoon. We made our second route change and decided to ride the cherahalla sky way. I wanted to do this road but did not know we could do it on the way in to robbinsville. Had our first faux pau for lunch today. We asked a local where to get good barbecue. Se pointed us to a place called michaels. It wasn't a bad place just about 10 steps above what we are used to. Not sure we belonged in there and it put us way over budget for lunch. Ribs were third best we have had on the trip and we have only had them 3 times. After lunch we headed out for the cherahala skyway. my heart was pumpin' and my corpuscles were jumpin'. The road did not disappoint. I have been in north Carolina mere hours and I can tell you I will be back many times. The scenery is breath taking and the people are exceptionally friendly. Killer combo! As we climbed to the top of the skyway we were struck by the dense foliage everywhere as far as the eye could see. Mountains stretch for miles in every direction until the horizon eats them up. Every mountain looks like a huge green emerald reaching to the sky and they never end. Makes you want to ride every one of them just to see what is behind the curtain. When we were almost to the top of the mountain we stopped at a turn out where several other bikers had also decided to peek at the spralling scene below. Of course whe we pulled up they all headed over to our bikes to see what the he'll had just arrived. They were all newbies and had no clue what was before them. As we tried to educate them a couple of them wanted to know if we stopped at the Harley shop at the bottom of the mountain. We asked why we would do that? To buy a tee shirt and see the bikes they said. I looked at one of the freshest faces with his shiny new chaps and unblemished jacket and said " a Harley is what we take in the morning before we ride for the day". He kind of looked at me and then the light went on. Yu could see In his eyes his realization that he was a dumb shit and had been exposed. His buddies had a good laugh at his expense as well. Needless to say they left shortly after our interlude. Damn I hate myself sometimes---not! Stupid is as stupid does as a famous Alabaman once said. We headed down the mountain with kiwi in the lead. You know what that means- no more turns for the day. We laugh about that every day because it is so us on this trip. Before we got down the mountain it started to rain a bit. Careening down a moutnain road In the rain is not my idea of fun. Te pavement was new so it had the slick sheen to it as well. Both kiwi and I were running in first gear and taking it really slow. Made it to robbinsville in good time but could not find the 2 wheel inn where we were staying. Stopped to ask directions from a young girl in front of a gas station. She was sitting in the sun with her small child and could not have been more than 15. When I asked her directions she said did I know where the high school was? I said no I did not. Se said good because it is not by there. Honest to god this was the conversation and it went down hill from there. She went through a series of rights and lefts and I thanked her for her " help". As I was on the bike ready to leave she came running after me and said she forgot a turn. I did not wait to hear her final word. We drove around for a bit and could not find our motel. Finally asked another fellow and he got us straightened out. The place we are staying is called the two wheeled inn. It is only for motorcycles. Each unit of the ten on site has it's own garage that will hold 2 bikes. Pretty cool and the only bike hotel in the country. Found it o the Internet and am very glad I did. The owners greet you as you drive in the driveway and are most accommodating. I wanted a beer and a gar. The gar I have but found out that this is a dry county. Oh nooooooo! Never fear. As people leave and beer is left in the fridge the owners take it and keep it for the next scooter trash like me who want a beer and can't get one. I collected two beers and they were I the fridge while we were at dinner. We ate at a local place called lynn's cafe. I was. Ery good but the best part was desert. Neither kiwi or me are desert people but the waitress sweet talked us in to it tonight. Their specialty is deep fried cheese cake with ice cream in the middle and caramel drizzled over the top. We got one helping with 2 spoons. Not sure if licking bowl is approved in north carolina but scooter trash gets away with murder. :) another great day in a string of many. Who has more fun than we do? Not many. Tomorrow will be more of the same but better

0 comments:

Post a Comment