Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wilkesboro NC, Kiwi Mike

Well today sort of started out crappy.


We wanted an 8am start so we can go up to Laurel Springs NC (about 225 miles) to visit my good mate Paul Hyden however everyone from the American Iron ride was in the cool little restaurant and the server was a bit inundated with orders (and so was the 1 cook) so we finally got out of there at 8.30. I don’t think they were expecting so many folks at once but they were doing the best they could and everything was cool. The food was darn good.

So off we go and we get on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) but we head off in the wrong direction and it’s about 35 miles before we realize it. Keep in mind MADD Mike was not at the helm on this one. So shit a brick, we are burning up valuable time and scarce gas which is super hard to find on the parkway. Signage on the parkway really sucks big time so it doesn't take much to mess up. No notice where services are or how far they are from any exit. Down under we call that “Piss Poor”. There are other words we use in America but they aren't appropriate here.

Anyway 1-1/2 hours later we are back at our start point (10am) and down 70 miles in gas. I was a bit frustrated as I really wanted to see Paul at his house. It’s something personal for me because when Paul was working in Dearborn MI (Ford) and I was traveling through on I-80 to a show he would always take the time and make the drive and meet me in Toledo no matter what time of the day or night it was. I figured it would be nice to ride to him for a change.

I figured out the distance to our next gas stop and I should have been drifting into the gas station barely on fumes so I had to conserve gas. Down every hill I would switch the ignition off and kick it into neutral which down under it’s called Maori overdrive (I believe the SoCal equivalent is Mexican overdrive). I even turned in the high speed needle on the carb 5 clicks to lean it down so stretch my fuel. This step can be dangerous for engine failure but since we were cruising at low speeds and it was very cool out and I believed I knew what I was doing, the risk was minimal but the gain was BIG.
Well it worked as I picked up another 11 mpg so that amounted to 33 extra miles.

Somewhere along the line Greg and I got separated so I waited at one of the lookout points for half hour and he was a no show. I asked several who stopped by if they had seen him and they said no bikes were on the side of the road. Well I needed to take a Harley by now and it was 20 miles to the gas stop and with no gas to spare so I could not go backwards to check for him myself. I elected to press forwards and once at the gas stop I headed for the Harley room as job 1. I waited about an hour here with no Greg showing up. So I decided to go back along the same road to check for him. I asked several other bikers along the way and they all said they had not seen anyone. I then head back to the same 20 mile spot and noticed one of the American Iron riders there and he said absolutely there was no one else on the side of the road. I checked my phone and Greg left a message that he bypassed the gas stop and was 15 miles past it waiting for me. So I turn around and burn up 40 miles worth of juice to get back to the same spot and say once again, screw it, I’ll push my luck once again. This was a LONG distance in between gas stops but hey, let’s make an adventure out of it. So I leaned down the carb high speed needle again and switched the ignition off down every possible little incline and once again I picked up an extra 11 mpg. I was on fumes when I rolled in. I did find 1 down side though. There are some pretty dark tunnels and as I was going down through 1 of them I forgot to turn my ignition switch to lights. I was way into 1 tunnel that had a curve into it and things went real dark, oh sh-t, this could get ugly. I had run out of light and was fumbling around trying frantically to find the switch which was taking way too long. I'm used to driving in darness with old bikes and their primative electrics but I had upgraded to Cycle Electrics 12v generator and Headwinds 12v headlight and I needed em on and now. All eneded ok but it was a bit hair raising.

The riding today along the Blue Ridge Parkway was awesome and I got to see most of it twice. The speed limit is 45 mph and the curves are nice and gentle. I especially enjoyed the curves when I was back tracking for Greg I would take em at 60 just hauling down the highway. I still hate motorhomes, pricks think they own the road and most are very uncourteous as they will go slow and not pull over to let anyone pass. They are in their own little lala land.

The official ride dinner and meeting spot was at Cross Roads Harley in Wilkesboro NC so I called Paul and said that he’ll have to come down to meet us which he was more than happy to do so. It’s about 3/4 hr ride from his place and since he’s retired he’s happy to burn up time.

Wilkesboro Harley is a very nice facility with very nice staff and the HOG members put on a nice dinner for us. I was starving as the last meal I had was breakie and I was worried about Greg till we eventually met up at around 3. The hot dog didn’t even touch the sides, 2 more hamburgers please. Bert Baker of Baker Drive Train was giving out special awarded T shirts but his aim is always to embarrass people. He went easy on me this time.

After the evening festivities and everyone had left, Paul and I were BSing on the front verandah of the dealership and out pops Micah (Cross Roads HD business manager) and joins us for a BS session. It soon didn’t take long to realize his passion for bikes especially Buell Motorcycles and Eric Buell himself. Next thing service manager Mike drives around and he joins in the conversation. He says When I saw you pull up on that bike I said to my buddies, see there, that’s a real rider right there. Check out that well worn jacket, good helmet and expensive boots. That guys for real. I replied, well Mike, let me tell you the story about my boots. We engaged in a lot of great motorcycle conversation, great motorcycle people and my favorite, Harley’s antiquatedness. I told them that Harley makes the 2nd most antiquated motorcycle in America. I make the most antiquated which is always good for a laugh.
We finally departed at about 10.30pm. These guys are great and it was another one of those great experiences that turned a shitty day into a real winner. I can’t speak highly enough about this great dealership and its people. Thanks guys and ladies. And thanks Paul.

On the ride was Pete Hill, a Legendary Harley Drag bike racer who held many records back in the day running a nitro Knucklehead. This Harley guy has my respects as he's bad to the bone and a cool guy. He did the 1/4 mile in around 7 seconds at just under 200 mph. Nice job mate. I even had a pic taken with Pete and he agreed to doing the same with me, an Indian guy. Just sometimes an Indian and Harley guy can come together on some mutual turf.

I do have to mention that Paul ran Fords engine dyno labs from 3pm onwards and his best buddy Russ (who owns a 48 Chief) ran the earlier shift. I met these 2 guys on the Century Ride Home in 2001 which was Indian’s 100th anniversary ride to Springfield. I met them in Gettysburg and we engaged in some conversation and we’ve been mates ever since (and likewise with Russ too). They take the time every year to ride to the Davenport Iowa show to come and hang out.  These guys have given me the opportunity to see some very cool secretive stuff within Ford hense my change in vehicles to Fords.  Best of all Ford didn't take Gov bail out money but that's a whole another conversation.

Today we added an extra 110 miles to our mileage count because of back tracking. Oh well, it’s all in the adventure.

Looking forward to having breakie tomorrow with my roadie girlfriend Marilyn, Editor of IronWorks magazine. She’s such a sweetheart and Carolyn allows her to treat me well while I’m on the road. I'm a lucky guy. I already checked, there isn't a Waffle House in the town we are to meet.
Also looking forward to seeing my mate Wally Brown Jr and Regan. Wally is Sr test engineer at Joe Gibbs Racing. An FYI, Wally’s grandfather was an engineer back in the day with the Indian Motorcycle Co. I had been reading his writings for many a year before we hooked up. Wally has us hooked up with pit passes for the Legends race at Charlotte Sat eve.

It seems every night I’m done with the blog around 12-1am and then have to get up early each morning to make some miles. Tonight it’ll be 2 am.

1 comments:

Kandra Hyden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment