Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Taos 1055

Kiwi and I are both writing on the blog each night. After comparing notes yesterday we discovered that even though we rode next to each other all day we had very different experiences. My blog will start with our city and the total mileage for the trip in the title line. We started a bit late today so it could warm up. When we checked dulce weather it was 32 degrees and that was our first gas stop. Rolled out of bloomfiel around 9:30 and had a great ride starting up the mountain. Very little traffic and sunny skies make bikers happy. As we came into dulce you will be happy to know that the gomez grocery was bustling with 3 cars in the "parking lot". Hi gaga! The gas stop was fun as most of them are. Shortly after the fire was dissed in the jugs a guy was on us talking about his 48 pan head harley. He had put his bike together much like dirty gurl since the only piece on his bike that was 48 was the motor. We had more in common than I thought. He didn't have a job just like me.: ) I put on my rain gear to try and stay warm but kiwi toughed it out with a full set of long underwear,a wool shirt,a fleec top,a leather jacket and a full face helmet. What a man! Love my mate. After 40 miles we stopped for gas and lunch. This is the last gas before Taos and we did not need any issues up on the mountain. We ate at the lobo cafe in Tierra amarilla. Mind you we did not have a lot of choices but we were told that we picked the better of the two Mexican restaurants. Who knew? We both had beef tacos that had home made shells. Not sure if the grease dripping was from the shell or the mystery meat. I hope root beer is a disinfectant. The next leg of the ride was very cool. For 60 miles up and down the mountain we never saw a vehicle in our lane and only 5 cars passed going the opposite direction. Surely the biker gods are smiling on us as the rain went south,the curves were sweeping,and the landscape was breath taking. For a while I thought I was built upside down since my nose was running and I am sure my feet smell. Then my nose quit running. I thought this was strange until I looked in my mirror and discovered that that which was molten was no longer. Ummmmm TMI me thinks but you get the idea about how freaking cold it was. We had a couple of laughs on the way in to town but I know kiwi is talking about that so I will spare the redundancy. We found a very cool Lille motel in Taos. As we pulled up ,the whole office came out to greet us with a plate of choclate chip cookies fresh out of the oven. Thank you lord. After they registered us they came out with a pile of towels for us to use while cleaning our bikes. I gave mine to kiwi. Dirty gurl don't do no damn cleaning towels. We're off for Italian dinner and then hot tub. These bike trips are for only the hardy! Texas tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment